Betty Crocker Wannabe has MOVED! I am now blogging solely at A Simply Klassic Home. I am still sharing printables, party ideas, and other inspiration. It's much more streamlined and clean. I hope you will stop by and say follow along there! I have lots of ideas for new printables coming this holiday season!!

Sunday, August 15, 2010

The Big Boy Room Reveal

Cooper moved into a big boy bed in February, and I *FINALLY* finished it!!

Here's what we started with:


 A not so eclectic mix of whatever.


And woods that didn't really match.

We needed two beds as Gracie, Rick's daughter, is with us on weekends. This posed a bit of a dilemma since the room couldn't be too much "boy" because a little girl would be sharing it.

I decided I would start with the bedding.

After much, much blog and web surfing I settled on bedding from Pottery Barn Kids. This was definitely a splurge, but so worth it. Their coordinating "Morgan" bedding made it easy to mix and match a quilt for Cooper, and a duvet for Gracie, since we already had a comforter for her. The sheets are PBK "Bedtime Stories" with animals reading story books - too cute!

And here's the finished space!


(Sorry I had to leave the railing on the bed...it's just too much of a pain to put back up!!)


The curtains behind the beds add great texture and height. Doesn't hurt that they were on 80% clearance at JCPenney! Yup, that's right, the curtains were under $10 per set! They also help to cover up the ugly blinds. Thanks to Wendy at The Shabby Nest for the great ideas!

The artwork above the beds is from Tiddliwink Designs, where you can find affordable PBK coordinating artwork. It was just $20 for four 8x10 prints! She designed it specifically at my request, since she didn't have the Bedtime Stories line on her website.


I made the headboards myself with fabric and batting from Joann's (love that 40% off coupon!) and pieces of plywood that I had cut at Home Depot.


The dresser was a Country Roads find, from my friend Kate's space. I love the element of shabbiness it adds to all of the new pieces in the room.

The lamp is another PBK piece, purchased with a gift card after Cooper arrived.


The "Wish" sign was on clearance at Marshall's.


All you Mommies know how much artwork comes home with your kids. Well, I've seen many ideas for how to display them out there in the bloggy world, but I decided to work with what I had on hand.

Nails, twine and clothespins. Works for me!


I also found these cute hooks at Ikea for $4. Perfect for hats and backpacks.


Now, for the best part of the room.

I present...

The reading corner!


This is my absolute favorite part of the room!!!

I wanted to keep with the Bedtime Stories theme, and since we have so many books (this is only half of our stash) I wanted a reading corner.

The shelving unit is from Ikea, and was incredibly easy to put together. The green chair was a gift card purchase from PBK. The Stitch artwork was a splurge from Disneyland right after Cooper came home...it has special meaning to me with the adoption theme. And of course since Stitch is reading a book, it fits in with my room theme as well!


The rocking chair was mine when I was little, made by my grandfather when I was just a year old.

And the tree, oh yes, the tree.

A few months ago Gracie told me we needed a tree. I finally obliged!


I work for a church, and last week was VBS. The African theme was "Under the Baobab Tree" and our fantastic youth group created these amazing trees to decorate our campus. I called dibs on a few of the branches and part of a trunk on the first day! It's just crumpled brown kraft paper, a little brown paint and strips of green tulle tied to the branches.

Cooper was beyond excited. As I was stapling the branches up (yup, staple gunned to the walls and the ceiling), he was running up and down the hall yelling "Thank you! Thank you!" Not bad - an unpromted thank you from my three year old!

So there it is, Cooper's Big Boy Room! What do you think?

Before:


After!








22 comments:

Stylist A said...

ohhhhh I love it! it looks so cute! That tree is pretty awesome!

Unknown said...

Great room!

Adriana said...

So cute, you did such a great job! I love the tree and the layout is fantastic!

Stacie said...

The tree is a great touch!

The Polka Dot Closet said...

Oh to cute! I bet the kids love it! What a great idea for a tree!! I came to visit from Make it 4 Monday.

Carol

The Autocrat: Haley said...

Way cute! Great job!

Holly Lefevre said...

What a fabulous redo. I especially love the reading corner! Great tree. You made a fantastic transformation! We are working on a transformation ourselves - the first one happened when we moved - baby to kid and now we are working on the big kid room...YIKES! I am a new follower.
Holly
504 Main

cindy said...

Oh so cute! What a fun room. I have two boys rooms to do this winter, and I'm plumb out of ideas. This will go into my inspiration files :)

So glad you could Mi4M!

Anonymous said...

I love love love it!!!

Rachel said...

This looks awesome!! I LOVE the reading corner!! What a great idea! Seriously, when I get a house, would you mind coming to Texas and helping me decorate?? You do great work!!

:)
Rachel

Anonymous said...

It turned out great! It's almost bitter sweet when it's time to change them to big boy or girl rooms. I love your reading corner.

Ginger said...

Awesome transformation! I bet both kids will love it! That tree is great!

Carrie said...

I love the cozy little reading nook you created!

Rebekah Lindenmayer said...

Cute and uncluttered. Where are the toys? :) My kids rooms are buried under the rubble!

Maryann @ Domestically-Speaking said...

Very cute! I love the tree reading corner... what a great place to hide-away!

Wendy said...

Hi Lady!! The room turned out fabulously!!! I'd love to link to it next week (not for the Linky Love post...but a separate post of its own.) Is that okay with you?

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

What a fantastic room for a little boy!

michelle@somedaycrafts said...

Great job!

René said...

What an adorable transformation! Love it!

-Rene

Julie said...

I love how you did the curtains. So smart!

Cassie {Hi Sugarplum} said...

cute, cute, cute!!!!
I'm giving my little girl a big-girl room right now...did you just take the side off his crib, or is it a crib that converts. I think it may be a good idea to take a side off first, to transition into a 'big bed.'

Can't wait to check out more of your spaces!

Cassie Bustamante said...

that turned out soooo cute! i love the color and i really lovethe window treatments brhind the beds and the symmetry they create. what a great boy space!