Betty Crocker Wannabe has MOVED! I am now blogging solely at A Simply Klassic Home. I am still sharing printables, party ideas, and other inspiration. It's much more streamlined and clean. I hope you will stop by and say follow along there! I have lots of ideas for new printables coming this holiday season!!

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

When Random People Try to Help You Discipline

We've had a rough week, that boy and me.

The frustrations have been high and the screams high-pitched. We're battling naptimes, refusing them mostly, testing boundaries and pushing limits.

He sure is lucky he's cute, otherwise I might threaten to hang him up on the clothesline. (sidenote: I would not actually hang him up on the clothesline.)

He had one of his mini-fits in the grocery store again. He was sitting in the cart, yelling because he wanted to scan the eggs at the self-scanner and I wouldn't let him. The clerk came over and patted him on the head saying "Are you being a bad boy? You should be a good boy." I managed to keep my jaw from dropping to the floor and just looked at here like she was an alien from another planet (which I believe she may have been) and finished checking out. I didn't say a word to her, but wish I had.


So, here you go, Random Grocery Store Checker Lady: My child is not 'BAD' nor will I ever label him as 'BAD.' Children make choices, some good, some BAD, and that is what he's doing. It's up to ME as his PARENT to teach him the difference. And I will do so by example, not by harsh, deprecating words. His behavior is a choice, and yes, it is a BAD choice, but that does not make him BAD. It's certainly not your place, to tell my son he is a BAD BOY. So please, the next time you see a child screaming, smile at their mom, because she is doing the best she can. Don't make matters worse by trying to aid in the discipline of a child you don't even know. Thank you very much.

I feel much better now.

7 comments:

Judy Schwartz Haley | CoffeeJitters.Net said...

yeah, that would get to me too.

Katie said...

Next time you are in the grocery store take a picture of her so you can make that picture into a dart board. That will make you feel better.

mountains-to-climb said...

I seriously wonder if these people have never had children or honestly must've forgotten. When rude people try to put their two cents in, it really benefits my children cuz I'm no longer frustrated with them but rather the idiots trying to do my job for me. 

Anonymous said...

Oohhh...you're better than me. I would have said something. People like that make me crazy!

Ma What's 4 dinner said...

Checking in from NFF. I so know what you mean! Last week we went out to dinner and this waitress was trying to explain to my 20 month old how he shouldn't walk around in the restaurant aisle because she's working and he could get hurt, she went on for like 20 minutes....Um...he's NOT LISTENING TO YOU!!! He's a baby. Get him a damn cracker, he's hungry.

Lots of yummy love,
Alex aka Ma What's For Dinner
www.mawhats4dinner.com

Rachel said...

I don't have kids of my own, but I totally agree with you. I always try and sympathize with anyone who has a kid at a grocery store (or restaurant, etc). That lady is clueless. You don't EVER call a kid bad. I hope she doesn't have any kids because I feel sorry for them.

**hugs** Hope you and "the boy" have a great weekend!

:)
Rachel

Anonymous said...

I know exactly what you mean. Although, maybe you should have said something it was best of keep quiet.