Betty Crocker Wannabe has MOVED! I am now blogging solely at A Simply Klassic Home. I am still sharing printables, party ideas, and other inspiration. It's much more streamlined and clean. I hope you will stop by and say follow along there! I have lots of ideas for new printables coming this holiday season!!

Sunday, November 7, 2010

The Grandma-To-Be Party!

The Grandma-to-be party was a huge success and I'm so excited to share it with you all! The wind kicked up and it turned a bit chilly, but we managed to keep the rain away and everyone had a great time. The Grandma-to-be was very honored and blessed by gifts from friends helping her to stock her house for when her new granddaughter comes to visit (which will be often!).

The theme of the party was loosely based around "Little Red Riding Hood" or "To Grandmother's House..." with lots of red & white gingham and burlap, and touches of aqua.

To announce the party, we sent out invitations, including cards explaining the idea behind the gifts, and asking guests to fill out an advice card for the new Grandma.


We collected the advice cards at the party and put them together in a small photo album, which will eventually include photos from the party.

And now, welcome to the party!!



We had lots of homemade treats, just like Little Red did - cupcakes, pies, chocolate chip cookies, chocolate dipped pretzel rods.





We also had sweet treats like gumdrops, licorice, and other red candies.




Plates and silverware were placed in a picnic basket (think Little Red had one like this?).


For the decor we wanted to create a rustic, woodsy feel, so we used lots of burlap for the tablecloths (hint: this was $10 for a 24' roll at Home Depot!). The centerpieces were tall glass vases with Myrtle and curly willow (thanks Kat!!)


I used a manzanita branch decorated with red & aqua gingham bunting in a silver bucket for the centerpiece for the Grandma-to-be and Mom-to-be's table. We also covered the chairs for their table with red and white gingham fabric.


Gifts were collected in an old wheelbarrow covered with the fabric.


We played a few typical "baby" games (baby word scramble and baby animals).

Each guest got a small gift as they left. Tiny picnic baskets filled with white chocolate covered rice krispie treats.


(Picnic baskets came from Michaels)

So there you have it, the Grandma-to-be party. A lot of people have said, "I've never heard of that!" so I hope this has maybe sparked a few ideas for anyone out there with a grandma-to-be in their life, to honor them as well.


15 comments:

Erin said...

Ok that is just waaay way way too cute! I love it!!!

Christy said...

Oh my gosh! That is the cutest party EVER!!! I'm saving this idea for the future! I hope it's a near future. :O) And WHERE did you get those precious picnic baskets?

Gwen @ Gwenny Penny said...

You really know how to throw a party, Kristin! Another fantastic shindig! I LOVE the guest favors... they are adorable. I especially like the buntings suspended over the pies... way cute. Beautiful job as usual!

Michelle said...

I've never heard of a Grandma-to-be party.
I think it's a really cute idea.
Thanks for sharing it with us.

Penelope said...

What a GREAT party theme! You did a FABULOUS job with this! And the photos are awesome too!
Is party or event planner your next endeavor???

Melinda said...

LOVE this idea!

Stacie said...

Love the theme and those baskets that you sent home with everyone are so cute!

Kate said...

Everything looks amazing PK, well done you did such a fantastic job. What a blessed Grandma to be she is. Each detail was so well thought out.

xo
Kate

Brenbren said...

Just found your blog and I LOVE the framed scriptures. There is one that is in 1 corinthians. but I couldn't see the chapter or verse. Would you mind telling me what it is? I would like to make one for myself:) brenbren13@ymail.com

Be Colorful Coastal said...

What a fun idea. One of my friends just became a G ma. My first friend to go down that road. When did I get so old? :)
I love the colors, the candies, the check theme. Darling. I'm sure she loved it.
Pam

Sandy Ang said...

Looks like such a fantastic party !!

Susan @ Oh My! Creative said...

Looks like a lovely party!

Brittany Schwaigert said...

What a FUN party idea! I love this! Super creative!

Unknown said...

Great ideas, where did you get the little baskets

Unknown said...

Great ideas, where did you get the little baskets