Betty Crocker Wannabe has MOVED! I am now blogging solely at A Simply Klassic Home. I am still sharing printables, party ideas, and other inspiration. It's much more streamlined and clean. I hope you will stop by and say follow along there! I have lots of ideas for new printables coming this holiday season!!

Saturday, November 13, 2010

We Have Allergies

I finally took the plunge and had allergy skin tests performed on Cooper last week. It was awful.

I had to hold my baby down while they poked him in the back with needles 22 times.

He kicked, he cried, he screamed "Please stop!" I tried really hard not to do the same. It was heart-wrenching.

Then I had to keep him from itching his back as welts started appearing almost immediately.

On a scale of one to five, he scored a four on peanuts, walnuts, eggs, shellfish, cats, dogs, dust mites and mold. He also had significant reactions to sesame and a few other things.

They made me watch a video on dust mites. I came home and, feeling like the worst mother in the world, stripped the kids' bedroom of every sheet, blanket, and curtain and washed them all, vacuuming and cleaning as best as I could. They also sent me home with inhalers, and other asthma medication, as it's presumed that he may have asthma as well.

I suppose the best thing out of all of this, is that now we know. Not having any family history as a guide, I never knew if there was a higher risk with any of the more common allergens.

We are now in a period of adjustment. This week has been completely overwhelming for me, and every little thing seems to send me into a tailspin. My body is reacting to the stress worse than it ever has. On top of all of the allergy testing, we were down to one car this week and had a huge repair bill we had to take care of, plus added stress at work and numerous other incidentals.

I guess I'm angry. I'm angry that I had to subject my son to such painful testing. I'm angry that I have no family history to fall back on. I'm angry that I never took his "dislike" or certain foods seriously. I'm angry that we are now having to change our lifestyles to accommodate all of these allergies. I'm angry that he will now be labeled as "that kid" in his class.

We went to a party today and the host had made cake pops for the kids to eat instead of having a large cake. Cooper chose one and started to eat it. After a minute he came back to me and said, "Mommy, I don't like peanut butter." His mouth started to hurt and his throat was itchy, but thankfully, a little Benadryl got him feeling better. I assumed the host knew and I hadn't even thought to ask what was in them. I'm angry at myself for that too.

Like I said, we are in a period of adjustment, but I'm faithful that God is walking beside, holding my hand and wiping my tears. The cake pop incident was a wake up call for me, and I know now that I have to be on top of my game all of the time.

10 comments:

Momma Button said...

Go ahead, vent and cry for a bit. I know how hard it is. I too have a child with food allergies. His happens to be all dairy. He can't even have bread that contains any form of dairy in it. Hold you little guy close and educate yourself as much as you can. Good luck ((hugs))

NorCalMom said...

((hugs))

You have a one heck of a week! The good news is now you know and you both will learn to make adjustments. You are totally not the worst mother or a bad mother for that matter!

Cheryl D. said...

Allergies suck. My daughter is severely allergic to cashews (I have to have two epi-pens with her at all times). She's also allergic to walnuts (has to stay away from all tree nuts). We discovered this past summer that she's now allergic to dogs and cats also.

It sucks. Don't get complacent--peanut allergies are important to stay on top of. Also, it gets easier. You just get used to reading labels. It's not such a big deal. And if Cooper just needs Benadryl and you don't need epipens, count yourself lucky!

Beth Adams said...

Do not beat yourself up about all of this. I know easier said than done. It is hard to subject your child to any kind of testing. Just so you know, the test are uncomfortable & scary to a child but not really painful. I have been getting those test for as long as I can remember. Dust mites are a part of life no matter how good a house keeper or mother you are. Allergies can change & something your child is severely affect by now could just go away so I suggest you get those tests done every few years. My tests a few years ago showed I was allergic to every food except chocolate & string beans. I take my meds & march on eating what I want but making sure I have inhalers & shots on hand if the foods I eat just happen to effect me worse than usual. You have made the step to find out what is going on with your child. That makes you an awesome mother! Hugs.
http://wiccanmakesometoo.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

That sounds dreadful! I am sorry for mommy and her little boy! I have never heard of allergy testing before now. Is Cooper sick a lot? Is that why you took him in? Hang in there momma, he is lucky to have you.

Jack said...

Don't beat yourself up! We had my son tested with a blood test....did they not give you that option? Less invasive, so if you have to do it again, look into bloodwork. Hope things begin looking up for you!

Melinda said...

I've been there - it's so hard to watch your baby go through something like that. But the good thing is that it's done - you have answers now. You know what you need to do, and you can use that info. Did they give you epi-pens? If not, you may want to ask about them, especially if the peanut butter made his throat feet itchy.

Kidswithfoodallergies.org is an excellent resource - they have a great forum where I have learned a lot since learning of my son's food allergies.

Gwen @ Gwenny Penny said...

So sorry you have to go through this, Kristin. I've just assumed that my kids won't have to deal with allergies because there is zero history, but I guess I can't make that assumption. It will be a tough road for a while, until you get used to living with it, but you'll make it through this. I have faith in you.

Kay said...

Whenever my boys have to undergo anything unpleasant at the doctor's office, we talk beforehand about how even though it hurts, it is a blessing to be able to receive the medical attention that they need. It helps to keep them and me in an attitude of thankfulness. What a blessing for God to give your son a mother who is willing and able to care for him!

IVR Call Center Solutions said...

Thank you for this post. Good luck.
Call Center Software in dubai