Betty Crocker Wannabe has MOVED! I am now blogging solely at A Simply Klassic Home. I am still sharing printables, party ideas, and other inspiration. It's much more streamlined and clean. I hope you will stop by and say follow along there! I have lots of ideas for new printables coming this holiday season!!

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Smoky Tri Tip & Vegetable Soup & a Story

Last weekend, I had a Tri Tip roast that I had to cook. I had planned to BBQ but it rained (poured actually) all day, so that wasn't happening. I was going to put it in the crockpot, but forgot. At 4:00 I figured I'd better decide what to do with it and started to search my pantry and fridge and came up with beef broth, onion soup mix, carrots and potatoes.

One of my favorite restaurants is Wood Ranch Grill in Yorba Linda, CA. They have amazing tri-tip soup. I searched for the recipe and couldn't find one, so I made one up. (Sorry, I totally forgot to take a photo of this one!)

Tri Tip Soup
1 Tbsp Olive Oil
2 lbs trimmed Tri Tip, cut into small chunks
2 cans beef broth
1 package Onion Soup Mix
3 cups water
2 cups potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
2-3 cup raw vegetable (carrots, green beans, mushrooms, etc)
2 Tbsp Minced Garlic
1 tsp Liquid Smoke

1. Heat olive oil in a 5-6 quart pot; add Tri Tip and brown on all sides. Drain.
2. To the meat, add beef broth, water and onion soup mix. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for about an hour, covered.
3. Add vegetables, garlic, and Liquid Smoke. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for about 30 minutes, or until vegetables are tender. Season with salt and pepper if desired.
4. Serve and enjoy!


Sorry for the lack of photos. To make up for it though, I thought I would share a little story about the soup...

We (Rick & I) are attempting to eat healthier. In fact, Rick's son, who is studying to become a personal trainer, has him on a nutritional plan.

(I called it a diet and I was corrected: "It's not a diet. Diet's DIE. It's a nutritional plan." My bad).

So anyway, I made soup this delicious soup the other night, and I put lots of carrots in it, despite the fact the Rick hates vegetables. In fact, whenever I have made soup, and I have to remove the carrots/vegetables from his bowl. Otherwise, I get "the look."

As we were eating, Rick looked over at me, and very deliberately stabbed a carrot with a fork (yup, he ate the soup with a fork) and slowly put it in his mouth. I almost fell off my chair. Literally. And, ok, maybe a little bit dramatically.

The next night he ate some mixed vegetables. It was dark, and raining, but I'm pretty sure I saw a pig fly by our window.

6 comments:

Gwen @ Gwenny Penny said...

This soup sounds really good. I've never used Liquid Smoke in anything before. Sounds interesting. I am also on a "nutritional plan", and I hate vegetables, so I feel Rick's pain:)

Sarah @ Sugar Bananas said...

I've never cooked with liquid smoke but this sounds really good. My hubs was the same way about onions. After a few years, he said, "Ok, I think you got me liking onions". It was out of no where. I saw the same pigs flying.

Thanks for the recipe :)

Sarah

Melinda said...

Sounds wonderful! And I had to laugh at your story :)

Jenn Erickson said...

I saw your link over at Sugar Bananas and just had to come by, say hi, and check out your recipe! It sounds fabulous, easy, and like something my whole family would enjoy!

Unknown said...

I just made the soup this afternoon and it was AWESOME! Better than Wood Ranch! I loved it. My husband loved it! My 21 yr. old son loved it! He said it was a meal in itself and he eats a lot! The meat was so tender. I followed the recipe except I used a 32 oz beef broth container and only 2 cups of water. I added salt and pepper to the meat while I browned it and I threw in some Worcestershire sauce (not sure if it did anything). Delicious! Thank you!

yadongbizz said...

Excellent post! We will be linking to this great content on our website. Keep up the good writing. 일본야동

Please visit once. I leave my blog address below
한국야동
일본야동