Betty Crocker Wannabe has MOVED! I am now blogging solely at A Simply Klassic Home. I am still sharing printables, party ideas, and other inspiration. It's much more streamlined and clean. I hope you will stop by and say follow along there! I have lots of ideas for new printables coming this holiday season!!

Friday, September 10, 2010

Hello Kitty Cupcake Toppers & Chocolate Cupcake Recipe

Rick's daughter has a birthday tomorrow, exactly one week before my boy's birthday, and just two weeks from Rick's son's birthday. Do the math, that's three birthdays in two weeks. Yikes! So, I'm trying to be as frugal as possible this year by making as much as possible.

I offered to make Gracie's birthday cupcakes, and of course the first order of business was to find a great recipe for chocolate cupcakes. I did.

Oh. Yeah. Check it out. There's also a recipe for chocolate butter frosting, but this little girl wanted Hello Kitty pink and white. Wish granted!

Hershey's Perfectly Chocolate Cupcakes

I made a buttercream icing to top them with, but it's a basic. I double the recipe and it generously frosted all 26 cupcakes.

Easy Buttercream Icing
4 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
6 Tblsp milk

Whip the butter until fluffy. Gradually add in 1 cup of the powdered sugar and reduce speed to low, add in the liquid, salt and flavoring. Last the rest of the powdered sugar. If firmer icing is needed, add in a bit more powdered sugar, if softer icing is needed, add in a bit more of the milk. Flavor as desired.

And here's the finished product:


I also created the Hello Kitty cupcake toppers in Publisher, since buying the download alone would have cost me $6-$10 on Etsy, and buying them completed would have been upwards of $15 per dozen.

I found some free images on google search, created a 2 inch square and designed away! I printed the toppers on cardstock, cut them out out and attached two cards to a coffee stirrer with double stick tape. Simple! I thought about adding some ribbon to the sticks as well, but ran out of time.


I think she'll like them. What do you think?

Happy birthday sweet girl!


Cooper's birthday is a week away...I'll be back next week with an update on that party!

6 comments:

mountains-to-climb said...

Those are seriously awesome! I love it!

Stacie said...

Super cute and so girly!

Rachel said...

Those look great!! I love the banner at the top of your page! Looks awesome!!

:)
Rachel

Bella @ Bella before and after said...

Very cute cupcakes, and I love your fonts on your blog, very cute. I did some Twilight cupcakes, and topped them with Edward, he he, they were tasty, lol. I am hosting a new party, and would love to have you stop by and link up girl. I welcome all the support, and appreciate it more. :) Bella

J. At Your Service said...

These are so cute!! Great job!!

Matt said...

The toppers are awesome! Is there anyway you can email me the publisher file?