Betty Crocker Wannabe has MOVED! I am now blogging solely at A Simply Klassic Home. I am still sharing printables, party ideas, and other inspiration. It's much more streamlined and clean. I hope you will stop by and say follow along there! I have lots of ideas for new printables coming this holiday season!!

Monday, April 26, 2010

Blueberry Upside-Down Cake

Sunday is my stay at home day. At least that's what I try to do. I love being at home, doing the "mom" thing, laundry (yes, I said it), cleaning (ok, maybe notsomuch), preparing meals for the week, and baking. I try to bake one dessert on Sunday, that we can snack on throughout the week.

This weekend I decided to try a new recipe from Eat At Home. Have I mentioned that I love this website? There are lots of new recipe, and easy ones, to try out.

I thought this one sounded good, and looked good too. Here's the recipe as is. I'll add my variations in parenthesis.

Blueberry Upside-Down Cake


 Ingredients:
2 sticks butter, very soft at room temp

1 cup brown sugar
2 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen (if frozen, thaw and drain them) at room temp
1 cup white sugar
1 egg yolk, plus 2 whole eggs at room temp (I only had 2 egg, so added about a tablespoon of water instead)
2/3 cup sour cream
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. salt
1 3/4 cup flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and put the rack in the lower third of the oven.


2. Lightly butter the bottom and sides of a 9″ cake pan that is at least 2 1/2″ deep (I used Pam).

3. Put 1 1/2 sticks of the butter in a large bowl. With a wooden spoon cream the butter with the white sugar and the egg yolk. Switch to a whisk and stir in the whole eggs one at a time. Whisk until the sugar begins to dissolve and the batter looks smooth. Mix in the sour cream, vanilla and salt.

4. Mix the flour, baking powder and baking soda in a seperate bowl, then add to the wet ingredients. Stir to combine. The batter will be satiny.

5. Put the 1/2 stick of butter in the pan and set it in the oven to melt. Pull it out and stir the brown sugar into it. Pat the mixture out in the bottom of the pan as evenly as you can. Put the berries on top of the brown sugar/butter mix. Pour the batter on top of the berries. Bake in the lower third of the oven for 50-60 minutes. Cool 5-10 minutes and then dump it out on a plate.

I think I was expecting something a little sweeter, or maybe richer. It tasted more like a coffee cake to me, or almost like a blueberry muffin. But it was definitely pretty, and tasted yummy!

Linking to Tempt My Tummy and Tuesdays at the Table



Photobucket

10 comments:

Family Balance Sheet said...

I have some blueberries in my freezer, so I think I will have to give this a try. It looks delish!

SnoWhite said...

looks pretty tasty!

Jackie said...

This sounds sooo good!

Brenda said...

Looks yummy. Its so easy, a nice after dinner dessert.

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

Yum! I love blueberries! It looks easy, too!

Thanks for sharing!

Have a great day!
Sherry

Amanda said...

This looks and sounds delicious. I usually keep those ingredients on hand too, so this would be easy to whip up anytime.

AndreaLeigh said...

I have some blueberries in my freezer so I think I'm going to try this out. Yum! Looks delicious.

When The Smoke Alarm Goes Off, Dinner's Ready! said...

Looks awesome! I will be trying this very soon! Love the blog

the country cook said...

Sounds very goo! My husband loves anything blueberry, so I may have to give this a try. - www.delightfulcountrycookin.com

Aubree Cherie @ Living Free Blog said...

Yay for a blueberry dessert! I love blueberries and can't wait for them to be in season :)

~Aubree Cherie