Betty Crocker Wannabe has MOVED! I am now blogging solely at A Simply Klassic Home. I am still sharing printables, party ideas, and other inspiration. It's much more streamlined and clean. I hope you will stop by and say follow along there! I have lots of ideas for new printables coming this holiday season!!

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Simple Slow Cooker Carnitas

I {heart} my Slow Cooker. I think it's probably the best appliance ever created. I use it at least twice a week, sometimes more. I tried a new recipe this week for Slow Cooker Carnitas, and man were they good! The recipe I used is actually a stove-top recipe, but I threw it all in my slow cooker. It calls for Pork Shoulder, but I don't like the darker meat with all the fat, so I used a Pork Loin Roast. The meat came out super tender and full of flavor. And the smell I was greeted with when I walked through the door at 6:00 ~ heavenly!!

So, here you go. Let me know if you try it. I will definitely be making this again.

Simple Slow Cooker Carnitas

Ingredients:
1 1/2 -2 pound Pork Loin Roast, trimmed and cut into large chunks
2 Oranges, quartered (I used 4 Clementines)
1-2 Tbls Chopped Garlic
1/2 onion, quartered
2 tsp Oregeno
2 tsp Cumin
Salt & Pepper to taste
Water to cover

Place oranges and onion on the bottom of the slow cooker. Add the meat, and season with spices on both sides. Add water, pouring carefully around the edges, so as not to rinse the meat. Cook on low heat for six hours.

This is what it looked like when I came home. Don't you wish your monitor was scratch & sniff?


Take the meat out of the water, and shred with a fork. It shredded so easy!


This step is optional: Heat some oil in a large frying pan and fry the meat. Season with salt if needed. This helps to give a nice crispy texture. I would probably do this in two sessions, as all of the meat in the pan was a bit much.


Spoon into taco shells, or flour tortillas, and garnish with your favorite toppings. Serve with beans and rice, or as a topping for taco salad.


Next time I think I'll buy a larger roast, and use half of the meat for Pulled pork sandwiches. Yum!

Linking up to:




5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh I love my slow cooker too! I actually need to use it more with the weather heating up, so this recipe is perfect timing! And it looks delicious!

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

I also belong to the "I heart my slow cooker" club. And I heart you for posting this yummy pork recipe. I have a pork loin in my freezer. All I need are the oranges. Super recipe.
Yvonne

Unknown said...

I love to use my crock pot on the weekends and in the summer. This recipe looks wonderful! I will give it a try!!! :)

~Liz

twinkietotmom said...

Mmmm...I love anything slow cooker! I'll certainly be bringing mine out for this one! Thanks for linking up this week for my first ever Meme! Hope to see you back regularly!

Ginger Jones said...

Oh this looks DE-LISH-US! I'm definitely gonna have to give it a try.

I would like to invite you to join in Slow Cooking Saturdays Recipe Swap @ Crock Pot Recipe Exchange. I have a schedule of themes up for weeks to come at http://crockpotrecipeexchange.blogspot.com/p/slow-cooking-saturdays.html

Keep up the GREAT work!