Betty Crocker Wannabe has MOVED! I am now blogging solely at A Simply Klassic Home. I am still sharing printables, party ideas, and other inspiration. It's much more streamlined and clean. I hope you will stop by and say follow along there! I have lots of ideas for new printables coming this holiday season!!

Monday, October 18, 2010

How We Got Through a Rainy Weekend

It's been a dreary few days here in the OC. What is usually a warmer time of the year, has turned wet and cold. We spent our Sunday indoors (much to the kid's disappointment). Usually on a day like this, I would be tying on my apron (ok, so I don't actually have an apron, but I'm sure I would look damn cute if I did). Anyway, I would probably be baking BUT since my oven is BROKEN, that didn't happen. Sooo, to combat the running around the house and jumping on the couch, I announced that we were going to make playdough. My son cheered and I was THE BEST MOM EVER. (Ok, so he didn't actually say that, but it IS true).

Since the You Capture challenge for the week is "ORANGE" I knew this was a perfect opportunity to create my subject.


Yellow and red make ORANGE.




"Children's games are hardly games.
Children are never more serious than when they play."
~MONTAIGNE, Essays


Photography 101 was taught by this guy (shown here with his ORANGE drink):


I'm slowly learning the buttons on the camera, and how and why to use them. My photos are a little grainy, but apparently that's because the ISO was set too high and the aperture too low. Or something like that.

And for those of you who have never made the easiest "toy" in the world, here's the recipe.

Homemade Playdough

3 cups flour
1 1/2 cups salt
3 cups water
1 Tblsp cooking oil
1 Tblsp cream of tarter
Your desired coloring (Food coloring, Kool-Aid packet, even Tempera paint will work)

Pour all ingredients into a pot and cook until the sides start to pull away from the pan, stirring intermittently. Let cool in the pan for a few minutes, them transfer to wax paper, or a large cutting board to cool (you don't have to wait for it to cool to start playing with it).

I didn't have any on hand, but I love using Kool-Aid packets, because it not only adds a beautifully vibrant color, but a great scent as well. You can also add different extracts to create your own scent (peppermint, lemon, vanilla, etc). Throw in plastic knives, rolling pins and cookie cutters and this is a great rainy day activity to keep your kids busy for hours!

11 comments:

Unknown said...

I can't wait to make my son playdough.. The time that my son stops putting everything in his mouth seems so far away..

Gwen @ Gwenny Penny said...

Great photos, Kristin! Especially like the little fingers in the orange dough.

Gwen @ Gwenny Penny said...

Hey, Kristin! Will you please shoot me an email when you get a minute? I need to ask you something. Thanks!

Penelope said...

Great photos! My DH hates playdough!

bookaddict4real said...

I heard it was raining out there , that play doh sounds like a good idea though. Sorry
your oven is broken. If you get a chance please
stop by and link up with me @scrapaddict4sure

Shelly said...

Great captures, and thanks for the recipe!

Anonymous said...

wow, awesome. Thanks for that recipe too.

Anonymous said...

I used to love when my mum made playdough! I also seem to remember eating a fair bit of it... Great photos, I love the one with the swirl of colour.

Alita said...

Um LOVE THIS POST!!!

New follower :)

Stillmary said...

Beautiful photos in oranges and an interesting and informative post! Nice job!!!

Alyssa said...

fun fun fun. Thanks for the recipe :)